Vegan Christmas Crack
When I was younger, my mom and I were always in the kitchen baking around the holidays. That is when I really fell in love with baking and cooking. My mom is a great baker, and got me in the kitchen at a very young age. An age where I was cracking eggs on the floor and making the biggest mess you can imagine. My mom is constantly baking til this day, we have homemade cookie dough stocked in our freezer at all times in case of a cookie emergency. My house is constantly smelling like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, which is definitely not a bad thing. And my mom is always helping me recipe test for my blog, it is something we really bond over.
Growing up, Christmas Crack was one of my all time favorite Christmas treats to bake. It is so easy to make, so I have been making it for years. A few years ago I stopped consuming dairy due to an allergy, and every Christmas after that, Christmas crack was the one thing I always wanted. This year I finally decided to make a dairy free version. Obviously the regular butter version is great too, but if you want to make it dairy free it tastes the same! The dairy free butter is the only ingredient that I changed in this recipe, other than that it is the same old fashioned, non-healthified version that I grew up on, and thats how I am going to keep it!
This recipe is so simple and requires minimal ingredients. You probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients already in your pantry. You need some saltines, chocolate of choice, slivered almonds, brown sugar, and butter.
This is also a great recipe to bring to a Cookie exchange. I know it is not technically a cookie, but it is nice to do something a little different because there is always so many different kinds of cookies at those things. It also makes a really cute gift. This season I made a few batches of these and some other cookies and I put them in Christmas tins and boxes and left them at my family and friends door steps. Who doesn’t like homemade gifts? Especially when they are edible and include chocolate!!
I hope you all love this recipe just as much as I do, and if you have little kids get them into the kitchen to help you out! It will bring on memories you will have forever.
- About 1 sleeve of Saltines
- 1 Stick of Vegan Butter (You can use regular butter here too)*
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups of Chocolate Chips
- About 1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
- Sea Salt
*I love Country Crock Plant Butter, but you can use any kind of vegan butter you like!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray the bottom of a baking sheet with oil and then line the baking sheet with saltines
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a saucepan on medium heat and continue to whisk it until it is smooth
- Bring the butter and sugar mixture to a boil and whisk for about 3 minutes (make sure not to burn it!)
- Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture over the saltines and use a rubber spatula to coat the saltines evenly
- Put the baking sheet in the oven for only 5 minutes
- When you take the sheet out the butter and sugar should be bubbling, when this is happening immediately pour the chocolate chips on top of the saltines and use a rubber spatula to spread the chocolate layer evenly. (you might have to put the sheet back in for 2 mins or so so that the chocolate melts)
- Again, use the spatula to make sure that the chocolate layer is evenly coating the saltines
- Sprinkle the slivered almonds and the sea salt on top and let it fully cool
- Once it has fully cooled, place the baking sheet into the fridge to harden
- Use a knife or a pizza cutter to cut the bark into squares and enjoy!!
- I like to keep the cut up pieces in the fridge or freezer!!