Vegan Apple Pie Wantons
Ok these vegan apple pie wantons are one of my favorite recipes I have made in a while. They are very easy to make and the perfect dessert. I initially made this recipe for a plant-based Thanksgiving dessert idea, and they came out so well that I continued to make them because they were such a hit.
My brother who is so picky and hates anything that is vegan (insert eye roll), but he loves apple pie and when he tried these he was obsessed with them and even requested me to make them again…huge win.
You really do not need that many ingredients for this recipe which is great. The only ingredient that might be semi hard to find is vegan wanton wrappers, but they sell them in most grocery stores.
The cream cheese frosting that I made with these is insanely good. My favorite affordable vegan cream cheese is the one from Trader Joes, I think the flavor is great and it is so much cheaper than the rest of the store bought cream cheeses. Besides the cream cheese dipping sauce, I also love serving these with dairy free whip cream or ice cream. My favorite dairy free whip cream is the one by the brand Reddi Wip (I prefer the coconut milk one over the almond milk kind). I also call myself a vegan ice cream connoisseur because ice cream is my favorite food and I have tried a ton of brands of vegan ice cream. Out of the specialty brands, my favorite is Ben & Jerrys, Van Leeuwens, or Jenis. I also love Nada Moo, Oatly, So Delicious, and Haagen-Dazs. But these apple pie wantans are so good that you don’t even need to pair them with ice cream and whip cream if you don’t have!
I will definitely be making these for family gatherings and parties in the future because they are a huge hit and insanely easy to make.
Apple Pie Wantons:
- 1 Apple (diced really small)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 package of wanton wrappers
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- About 4 tbs of vegan cream cheese (you can also use regular cream cheese)
- 1.5 tbs maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
(you might have to adjust depending on the type of cream cheese you use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dice the apples really small and add them to a mixing bowl
- Add cinnamon and coconut sugar and mix well
- Put a wanton wrapper on a flat surface and add a little bit of the mixture to the center of the wrapper (be sure that you do not fill it too much or the wrapper will overflow, this might be trial and error)
- Use your finger to wet the edges of the wrapper (the back of the wanton package should also show you how to do this step)
- Fold the edges into a triangle and press down so that it is tightly sealed
- Add all the wantons to a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly spray the tops of them with oil and sprinkle with some apple pie seasoning or cinnamon and sugar (optional)
- Bake for about 18-20 mins or until crispy
- For the vegan cream cheese just add all the ingredients into a bowl and stir until it is your desired consistency