Mom’s Homemade Vegan Pesto
This is my mom’s homemade vegan pesto recipe that I absolutely love! My mom makes a few different variations of homemade pesto to accommodate for mine and my brothers health needs. I am lactose intolerant, so she made up this vegan recipe that I have in the fridge pretty much at all times. She also make a nut free version because my brother is allergic to tree nuts which is also very good- if you are interested in that recipe as well please reach out and I’d be happy to share!
Growing up I never really liked pesto… probably because it was green and I assumed that it was going to be a gross tasting vegetable. But now it is one of my favorite things!
I love adding this pesto to everything, like sandwiches, bowls, wraps, pasta etc. Also, if you have never put pesto on eggs you are completely missing out! At first I thought it was weird but I was over my friend’s house one day for brunch and her whole family was putting pesto on eggs and I tried it and absolutely loved it. I am also a huge hot sauce on eggs person so if I want to change it up from hot sauce, pesto is always my other option.
I also make a pesto pasta dish for my brothers’ for dinner a lot too. My oldest brother is an extremely picky eater (I am sure you have heard me say this countless times before) so I like to sneak veggies into his pesto whenever I make it. I use a mix between kale, spinach, and basil and he never knows! Usually I’ll make a grilled chicken pesto pasta dish that my brothers absolutely love- it is literally just your pasta of choice, a batch of pesto, and grilled chicken thrown in there. Sometimes I switch it up and will add chicken sausage instead, and it is just as good!
Pesto Ingredients: (this is estimated, my mom sent me this but she usually doesn’t measure)
- 2 Cups of basil, spinach, or kale (I usually use a mixture)
- 2 Cloves of garlic (I sometimes add extra because I love garlic)
- ¼ Cup of walnuts (or any other nut- you can use pine nuts, almonds, etc.)
- 4 TBS of olive oil (add more if needed- you will know based on the consistency)
- A big pinch of salt
- You can add parmesan if its not vegan, or maybe some nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavor if you are vegan and want a bit of a cheesy flavor.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend
- Taste and add more ingredients if necessary